Dorel Juvenile, a segment of Dorel Industries, Inc. (TSX:DII.B, DII.A) is a world class juvenile products company. Dorel Juvenile’s powerfully branded products include global juvenile brands Safety 1st, Quinny, Maxi-Cosi and Tiny Love, complimented by regional brands such as Cosco, Bébé Confort and Infanti. Dorel Industries Inc. has annual sales of US$2.6 billion and employs approximately 10,000 people in facilities located in twenty-five countries worldwide. We are continuously extending our leading market position and believe team spirit, personal drive, and accountability can make a real difference in achieving the sustainable growth essential to our future. We research, design, develop, and test our products in-house, giving employees opportunities to gain inter-departmental experience. Our aim is to introduce and grow talent at all levels of our organization. Our global organization and our international supplier and customer base allow employees to collaborate with juvenile colleagues and partners from all over the world. Working at Dorel Juvenile means having a real impact on people’s lives. Come join our team…together we care about the precious lives of children.
We are looking for a Design Engineer to help us create a new generation of innovative products across our highly regulated Juvenile Consumer Products industry. This position will be responsible for the development and validation of products from conception through design, sourcing, testing and production. Working as part of our Product Development team, you will bring technical substance and inspiration to our creative efforts and ensure that imaginative but credible solutions populate our ambitious product roadmap.
- Represent the voice of the consumer and hold consumer experience above all else.
- Translate user-centered research into design requirements.
- Conduct consumer facing activities to develop consumer needs and consumer satisfaction metrics.
- Research and provide new technological opportunities to drive category innovation and market share expansion.
- Provide product design engineering and product quality engineering services to ensure all developed and sourced products meet design goals, marketing objectives, and quality, compliance, and safety requirements.
- Understand system and sub-system level interactions and failure modes.
- Detailed design of components and sub-assemblies by material selection, dimensions, and tolerances to meet product specifications and manufacturing feasibility through technical analysis including DFMEA, Tolerance Analysis, FEA and DFM/DFA.
- Generate and manage technical specifications, technical data (3D and 2D), technical product definitions and functional descriptions for new product development projects.
- Enhance team productivity and effectiveness by enacting positive changes on NPD processes and communications.
- Understand and interpret Regulatory and Compliance standard and their applicability to Dorel products.
- Develop measurement systems to provide data and rationales for Dorel internal product requirements.
- Develop and manage Design Validation Plans (DVP) including all Regulatory, Compliance and Dorel internal requirements.
- Troubleshoot test failures, generate solution concepts, and provide guidance for design changes and test protocol improvements for non-conforming product.
- Evaluate product samples and provide feedback and direction for proposed design solutions to address technical shortcomings to global product development teams and sourcing teams.
- Continually evaluate and improve designs for cost effectiveness, manufacturing improvements, increased reliability, consumer usability and value.
- Conduct benchmarking and GAP analysis of competitor samples and incorporate competitive advantages into product designs.
- Drive and participate in VA/VE activities during and post-development to increase profitability and enhance product function without compromising product cost.
- Provide engineering services for test fixture design and prototype creation by utilizing on-site services such as 3D printing and the machine shop.
- Work in conjunction with the lab test team to develop necessary new test methods for new and existing products.
- Communicate ideas quickly and effectively using a combination of sketching, CAD layouts, 3D models and working prototypes to evaluate potential solutions.
- Provide technical support to the Customer Care team related to developed and sourced products.
- Apply a comprehensive understanding of high-volume manufacturing processes and materials to optimize designs.
- Ability to manage multitask daily activities with low supervision (self-driven).
- Evaluate and interpret intellectual property landscape to determine viability of design solutions for implementation into new product development projects.
Education, Licenses, and/or Certification Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Black Belt Certified and proof of application preferred
Experience and Skills
- Minimum 4+ years of experience in a new product development environment.
- Knowledge in plastic injection molded components design.
- Proficient in design tools including DFMEA, GD&T, Tolerance Stack up.
- Basic manual tool skills required, machine tool (lathe and mill) experience a plus.
- Knowledge of related ASTM standards that pertain to juvenile consumer products desired.
- Proficient in the use of Quality tools including Star Walk, Consumer UX studies, QFD.
- Experience working with a cross functional team.
- Clear and concise communications skills.
- Experience with 3D design using CAD platforms, SolidWorks preferred.
- Microsoft office skills required, experience with Excel VBA coding is a plus.
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
Are you ready to grow with us?
The people behind our products and brands make Dorel an even stronger company. We are extending our leading market position and believe team spirit, personal drive and accountability can make a real difference in achieving sustainable growth. This is essential to our future. We invite you to grow with us!
Want to work with us?
You should see a button here to share this page via social media. You do not see this button because you indicated not to accept cookies.
Quinny empowers urban millennial parents to walk their way; transforming parenthood into a carefree exploration. The new NXTGEN stroller line consists of three different strollers